Thursday, May 24, 2007

Afridi thinks Pakistan does not need a coach

"Who is the most entertaining hitter in the world?" Ask that question and half the cricket cricket fans would say "Shahid Afridi". A lad who knows only one way of batting: if you can see the ball, hit it hard...as hard as you can. It simply does not matter what is the need of the hour, Afridi knows no other way of playing. He had deliberately chosen to sacrifice his average for strike rate. And since his success depends on luck to a large extent, the frequency of his success has been low as well.

In an interview he has said that he is not going to change his style.
. Every Tom, Dick and Harry tells me to play responsibly. This is my way of playing cricket. Since childhood I had a fancy of hitting sixes and fours and nothing else. I know fans also expect the same from me.This is my way of playing cricket. Since childhood I had a fancy of hitting sixes and fours and nothing else. I know fans also expect the same from me.
I think he fails to see that every Tom, Dick and Harry knows what he needs to do. Has he ever thought why every single person gives him the same advice?

Anyways, I think we all know that he is not going to change. However the following is his opinion about the requirement of a coach for the Pakistani team:

“We don’t need a coach at all. Look at the coaches of Australia and South Africa, they may have played first class cricket only but look at the performance of their teams.

“At international level, you need to perform and win matches. There is no time to tinker with the techniques of the players.

“Senior teams only need fielding coaches who can arrange different drills for the boys. Mohtasim Rasheed, a younger brother of ex-Test cricketer Haroon Rasheed can be good fielding coach for Pakistan. “Coaches should be deployed in academies where youngsters can be groomed properly.

“After 25 or 30 years there is no time to learn ABC of cricket. It is time to perform.”

I am not surprised that he doesn't want a coach....a coach will ask him to play responsibly.

For the complete interview, click here.

No comments: